Friday, November 02, 2007

Widget Bucks Not Performing

Widget bucks is the newest PPC program on the web. Just like adsense it can compliment your website and bring in extra cash. The widget used by widget bucks rotates ads through the banner. These are not your typical text based ads but nice looking graphics that show products based upon your selection or you can choose to have widget bucks scan your site and show relevant ads.

To Use or not to Use?

While this product is good it's not for every site. After installing it on several of my sites I noticed that some sites did excellent and got me a higher click through rate and more income per click then adsense. On other Blogs of mine it did horrible. After watching it for a week it really hit me. The sites it worked great on were sites that were very product specific. Blogs about electronic device or cell phones and other related electronic devices were tearing it up while sites that were more socially based and not product driven I saw poor or equal income.

It was only one week of testing so I took it to the next level. I started to mix some smaller widget bucks ads and kept my header adsense. Yes you can have both on the same page. It is not against the adsense TOS. I used the 160X300 in my top side bar and placed my adsense large banner on top of the blog. In between posts I kept the smaller adsense ads. The widget code made my site a liter brighter while not taking away from my adsense ads and the content on the site. My income did not double from this but I was making good PPC on my widget and the same amount of average clicks for my adsense ads. If you have the room in your side bar you can also try the larger 300X250.

If the ad looks too noticeable you should consider removing it. You do not want your site to scream I'M ABOUT THE ADS. Another recommendation is to swap the ad content around a little. If you hear about a hot new product in a select category you may want to swap over to that category for a week or so. Doing this will switch up your add content.

As always you want your site to be about the reader. Having ads all over will hurt you in the long run. You need a balance. Ads really do help consumers find products they want and need. When you click on an ad you do it because you want to know more about the product or service. The balance can be hard but if you look at it from your readers point of view often times the answer will stand out.